Sunday, May 6, 2012

Will a 512mb(or 1gb) nVIDIA GeForce 8600GT PCI Express x16 video card work with my Dell Dimension E520?

I was wondering if it would power up these cards. Does the 1gb need more power than the 512? This is a pretty inexpensive card that I am interested in buying but I just want to make sure it would work properly on my PC.|||The GeForce 8600 GT requires a minimum 350W or greater system power supply for a single card or 450W or greater system power supply for SLI.



Make sure that you have an adequate power supply to support this card. You can find the power supply wattage by opening the side of the case and looking on the side of the power supply. The wattage will be listed there.



If the power supply is inadequate, I would recommend www.tigerdirect.com or www.newegg.com for a new one.|||Hmm, first, make sure your motherboard has any PCI-E 16x slots (which should look like this:

http://www.viaarena.com/images/articles/…

http://www.ocinside.de/assets/mainboard/…

color doesn't matter.



If you do, now, check your Power Supply. You need atleast 400w, if it's 350.. it will still be OK I guess.



If you have these, then yes, it will be compatible. 8600GT is a great GPU (for the price it's at). It will let you play alot of games on quite high settings.



For the 512mb or 1GB, I'd say for for 512mb. And no it won't need more power. It's the amount of memory it has for caching textures and video information. Usually, insanely graphic intensive games like crysis use around 700-800mb, and I doubt you will be able to play such games with that graphic card, so 512 should do just right (unless your a graphic designer and you render/compile alot of stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment