Monday, May 7, 2012

A 1gb gddr2 or a 512mb gddr3 video card?

I'm looking to upgrade my video card on my computer and working on a bit of a budget. I would like to spend around 150 but would be willing to go up to 200 if it was worth the extra money. I guess my question is should i go with a 1gb gddr2 or 512mb gddr3. I realize that gddr3 is better but with double the memory would the 1gb card work for me. I'm not a real hardcore pc gamer (I let my console do my fps gaming) so i will not be trying to max crisis out or anything. I would however like to find a video that could handle Supreme Commander on at least a mid setting and looking into the future a card that should be able to play starcraft 2. Also I mostly would be playing these games online so i do not know how the card would affect my lag. i realize i might be asking to much but any help would be welcomed and thank you in advance.|||GDDR3 over GDDR2 always... The amount of VRAM is more important to marketing execs than actual game performance. Doubling the amount of slow memory is like an extra order of bad food...



As far as cards in that price range go, the Radeon 4850 is top dog at $175. But for your intended usage, that might be overkill. Save a few bucks and get a GeForce 8800GT or 9800GT.|||I would prefer the gddr 3 version cause even though 1 gb of ddr 2 ram is more than 512 mb, it is slower.|||Radeon HD 4850 comes pretty close to maxing out Crysis at about $170 but, a 9600GT will probably max out supreme commander on a 20" moniter.



9600GT- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as…



HD 4850- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as…



512MB of GDDR3 is ALWAYS better than 1GB GDDR2 when playing games because games dont use more than 512mb of frame buffer unless you have texture resolution on max and 4x Anti aliasing. So unless your planing on doing that the slow GDDR2 will greatly decrease frame rates.

No comments:

Post a Comment