Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Connecting five monitors to two video cards?

I was thinking of building myself a new computer. After reading about crossfire this and sli that I guess I just don't know enough about these new video cards. That being the case I think I have a pretty straight forward question but I think you may need a little background info first. My current setup is listed below:



Motherboard: ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe-UAYO

BIOS Revision: 1017.004

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 3850 (AGP 8X), Sapphire Radeon X1550 (PCI), Sapphire Radeon X1550 (PCI)

Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Power Supply: Antec 505watts

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3.2E Prescott

RAM: 4x 512MB PC3200 DDR-SDRAM

Hard Drives: C: 150GB (Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD), D: 1.5TB (Western Digital WD15EADS), E: 1.5TB (Western Digital WD15EADS), F: 1TB (Western Digital WD10EADS)

CD/DVD: G: LG CD-RW/DVD-ROM (LG GCC-4480B)

Monitors: Gateway FPD2185W (3850), Samsung LCD LN37A530 (3850), Samsung SyncMaster 941BW (X1550), Samsung SyncMaster 941BW (X1550), Samsung SyncMaster 192N (X1550)

Case: Thermaltake Tsunami Dream

Speakers: Logitech Z-5500



As you can see I'm running 5 monitors off 3 video cards right now. I would like this computer that I'm building to run all of these monitors also. Here's what I was thinking for the setup:



Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D Premium

Video Card: 2x Sapphire Radeon HD 5770

Power Supply: Antec TruePower 750watts

Processor: Intel Core i7-930



So my question is are these two video cards able to run the 5 monitors I have? The connections for each display are as follows:



Gateway FPD2185W - DVI

Samsung LCD LN37A530 - HDMI (Currently using a HDMI-DVI converter)

Samsung SyncMaster 941BW - DVI

Samsung SyncMaster 941BW - DVI

Samsung SyncMaster 192N - VGA (Currently using a VGA-DVI converter)



I was reading some things about how although these video cards I have chosen have 2 DVIs, a HDMI and a DisplayPort they can't all be used at once or something. For example I read somewhere that I wasn't able to use both DVIs and the HDMI at the same time on the same card. Also I am not too sure about crossfire. Do I need to have crossfire enabled (i.e. the cards plugged together with the crossfire connector) in order to use all of the monitors, or does this restrict the connections further?



Anyways sorry for being a little long winded, any help or suggestions would be really appreciated.



Thanks,

truedis|||Yes.



2X ati 5770 in Crossfire will work.



( http://www.legitreviews.com/images/revie… )



They each of two DVI's (four monitors).



For the fifth and sixth:

You MUST have either a DisplayPort native monitor or an active converter.



You cannot use passive DisPort to DVI/HDMI adapter (<$20)

You can use an active DisPort to DVI/HDMI (>$100), which converts the signal for you.



Or you could always get an ATI 5870 Six ( http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/154… )



Make sure to have latest drives if your going Crossfire ;)



Must use the crossfire bridge.





ATI have just released a 5770 with 5 connectors on it: http://legitreviews.com/news/7619/

No comments:

Post a Comment